The Chateau of Blain
. Restaurant La Groulais Castle, Blain
Tel : +33 (0)2 40 79 88 66
Fax : 02 40 79 02 07
• Château et Essor Blinois.
Tel : + 33 (0)2 40 79 07 81.
The public part of the château is open from March to October,
Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 12 noon and from 2.30 pm to 6.30 pm
Some dates :
- 1104 : The Duke of Brittany, Alain IV Fergent builds this powerful fortress, capable of sustaining a siege.
- 14th century : Olivier de Clisson, Constable of France, enlarges the castle and builds the Constable’s Tower.
- 1409 : The castle becomes the property of the Rohan family, until the Revolution.
- 1629 : Following religious strife, the castle is dismantled by order of Richelieu.
- 1793 : Destruction, pillaging. It is unoccupied during the Revolution.
- 1918 : At the beginning of the 20th century the castle is bought by the Princess of Greece and her husband who carry out a lot of restoration work.
Today, the Castle of Blain has become an essential element in the economic and tourist life of the region with ...
A private part ...
The King’s Apartments, the Queen’s Cellars and the Constable’s Tower. Since 1989 and throughout the year, they have been used by a restaurant to host various receptions such as weddings, seminars etc.
A public part ...
The Drawbridge Tower and adjoining buildings. This part of the fortress is living again thanks to the association ‘Château et Essor Blinois’ which organises a medieval festival, various art exhibitions and the display an old printing workshop.
The Chateau of Blain tower